Jason Ganahl is a Maestro of Meat and Marketing.
The GQue BBQ founder’s love for barbecue, people, and sports has allowed him to flourish. To do so, he’s had to network not only to thrive but also to survive. Being outside of the major traditional barbecue markets has made Jason Ganahl hustle hard not just in his food service area but also online.
Jason Ganahl is our guest on the Digital Hospitality podcast, where he talked about running a successful BBQ and catering business in Colorado, growing a YouTube channel, digital marketing, and more.
“The BBQ isn’t going to sell itself,” Jason Ganahl admits about GQue BBQ restaurants in the greater Denver area. “We’re not in Kansas City, we’re not in Austin and we’re not in St. Louis.”
Listen to this barbecue podcast episode and learn and let us know what you think about this episode featuring Jason Ganahl of GQue Championship BBQ by emailing the Cali BBQ Media team at email@example.com.
Learning to Hustle Online —
“I started making videos about seven years ago,” Jason Ganahl says about his early YouTube ventures. “Ironically, I taught myself how to make YouTube videos by watching how-to YouTube videos. I never really took it seriously, at first my goal was just to get 100 subscribers. We got to 10,000 subscribers.”
Like joining competitions as a judge, it all stemmed from passion and fun, not finances.
“You can’t get into YouTube thinking you’re going to make money,” says Jason Ganahl about building a YouTube channel.
“It’s a passion project. I would do it on the weekends, but as my kids got older, I just didn’t have time to do it. YouTube loves consistency, so now I just fired my channel back up and it feels like we’re starting from scratch. I’m on YouTube every single day now.”
As expected, the daily digital grind for Jason isn’t just publishing videos to YouTube. Rather, it’s a variety of social media platforms that allow him to engage with a community that shares the same passion or region as him.
“Your online reputation is pretty much everything nowadays,” admits Jason. “So, I look at Google and utilize that. I utilize the conversations I have with the employees that I have. I utilize the conversations that I have with the guests to utilize all the direct messaging that we get from all of our guests to kind of get a sense of where we’re at and what our perceptions are and in how we’re performing.”
When it comes to his own Digital Hospitality, Jason Ganahl is well aware of the power online resources give him and his GQue BBQ business. At first, the internet was the bridge for him to learn more about barbecue and become a judge at contests. Next, it was how he learned to make YouTube videos and build his brand. Now, it’s how he connects with his community and learns just how good of a job his business is doing.
In addition to founding GQue BBQ, Jason Ganahl is also the founder of Ice Cream Farm.
So, what’s Jason’s advice for you when it comes to digital hospitality and building a brand online?
“Stop just putting pictures of food out there, people want to connect with you!” beams Jason Ganahl on the Digital Hospitality podcast.
“You can’t let the fraction of people who will judge you determine your outcome. You’ve gotta think about the 80% of people who want to support you and want to see you succeed. Innately, I think people want to help people and it breaks my heart to see people too scared to put themselves out there on social media because of fear of other people.”
- Westword – Denver’s Best Chicken Wings, 2019
- Eater – One of Denvers Essential BBQ Restaurants, 2019
- Big 7 – Top 50 BBQ places in USA, 2019
- Trip Advisor – #1 out of 213 Restaurants in Westminster, 2019
- Food and Wine – GQue is Stop Worthy BBQ in Colorado, 2018
- Insider – 9th Best Onion Rings in the Country, 2018
- Thrillist – The Essential Denver BBQ Guide, 2018
- Westword – Denver’s Best Barbeque, 2018
- Eater Denver – Denver’s most Underrated Restaurant, 2018
- Trip Advisor – #1 out of 194 Restaurants in Westminster CO, 2018
- Taste of Home – Best BBQ in every state – Colorado, 2018
- National BBQ News – Best of the Best BBQ Restaurants in America, 2017
- Zagat – Must try BBQ Spot Around Denver, 2017
- Westword – One of the Best BBQ joints in Denver, 2017
- Chowhound – 50 States, 50 Amazing Barbecue Joints, 2017
- Eater Denver – One of Denver’s Essential BBQ Restaurants, 2017
- MSN – Top 35 Rib Joints in America, 2017
- Trip Advisor – #1 out of 189 Restaurants in Westminster CO, 2017
- 5280 Magazine – Denver’s Best Sausage, 2016
- Westword – Brisket & Ribs named top 100 food items in Denver, 2016
- Westword – Best Smoked Wings in Denver, 2016
- Zagat – The Carolina Sandwich is one of the 11 Must Try Sandwiches in Denver, 2016
- Eater Denver – One of Denver’s Essential BBQ Restaurants, 2016
- Westword – One of the best BBQ joints in Denver, 2016
- Zagat – Denver’s Hottest New Restaurants, 2015
Jason Ganahl has a passion for expertly-prepared meat, craft beer, and spirits. When he is not stoking the fire, he enjoys spending time his family and friends, and watching sports.
Growing up and living most of his life in Missouri, barbecue has been an important part of his life.
“I hope you enjoy eating GQue BBQ as much as I enjoy sharing it with you.” -Jason Ganahl
Email Jason Ganahl at firstname.lastname@example.org
LINKS TO CLICK:
- GQue BBQ Online — https://gquebbq.com/
- Jason Ganahl on Instagram @JasonGanahl
- Jason Ganahl on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/jason-ganahl-3694044/
- Follow @GQueBBQ on Facebook
- Follow @GQueBBQ on Instagram
- Follow @GQueBBQ on Twitter
- Follow @GQueBBQ on TikTok
- Subscribe to @GQueBBQ on YouTube