Do you want to learn how to smoke and sear tri-tip the Cali BBQ way?
We shared some of our tri-tip cooking tips on Labor Day with Lauren Phinney and KUSI News in San Diego.
Steps to Reserve Sear Tri-Tip
- Find the perfect tri-tip roast from your favorite local butcher.
- Trim off excess fat and season simply.
- Use a Weber kettle type of cooker. Place your charcoal on one side of the grill.
- Start your fire and wait until coals are heated.
- Put your tri-tip roast on the side of the grill without white coals. Cook with indirect heat and allow the meat to cook until 100 to 110 degrees.
- Move the tri-tip over to the hot charcoal side of the grill.
- Flip and repeat over the heat from the coals to sear the outside of the beef. Once the meat hits between 130° and 135° degrees you will remove it from grill.
- Allow the tri-tip to rest and then slice the roast against the grain with a sharp knife.
- Serve, enjoy and take a selfie with your meat. Tag @calibbq on social media when you do.