Learn how to make “Chinatown” Oyster Rockefeller with a Gochujang Hollandaise Sauce on a Big Green Egg by Superstar Chef David Rose.
David Rose’s unique take on a classic oyster dish is a flavorful mix of turf and surf, with just the right amount of umami. After you watch him cook this oyster recipe on a Big Green Egg at the 2019 Turf and Surf BBQ Championship and Tasting Event in Del Mar, California, you’ll want to try it out yourself! www.CaliBBQ.Media.
“Chinatown” Oyster Rockefeller w/ Gochujang Hollandaise Sauce
A traditional Oyster Rockefeller has spinach, hollandaise sauce, and maybe even crab meat. Chef David Rose’s variation has Chinese sausage, which has a dried, smokey umami taste, a sauteed chili sauce with bird’s eyes chilies, sriracha, Kewpie mayo, and gochujang. Recipe by Chef David Rose. www.chefdavidrose.com
- 1/2 LB lump crab meat
- 12 large gulf-oysters (cleaned/scrubbed/shucked)
- 1 teaspoon Gochujang pepper paste
- 1/2 cup Kew pie mayo
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter (melted)
- 2 teaspoon Chili Sa-te’ paste (Tia Chief SA-TÉ sauce)
- 4 Chinese style sweet sausage links (about 6 oz)
- 16 Yu Choy Chinese greens (just the 16 leaves)
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 1 small sour orange (cut in half)
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- Cayenne pepper
Asian Crab stuffing
- Pre-Heat Big Green Egg to 375 degrees indirect heat.
- Grill Chinese sausage on the Big Green Eegg, about 10 to 12, until lightly charred, cooked throughout and internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Remove sausage from grill, and allow to cool for about 5 minutes; then mince the sausage and set aside
- In a small bowl add yu choy Chinese greens, minced garlic, pinch kosher salt, olive oil and toss well until coated.
- Lay leaves on BGE, and grill until leaves wilt and slightly char about 30 to 45 seconds on each side; remove from grill, rough chop and set aside
- In a medium size bowl combine kew pie mayo, chili sa-te paste, sriracha, Worcestershire sauce, juice of 1/2 a sour orange, pinch of s&p, whisk until well incorporated.
- Add lump crab meat, chopped yu choy, 1/2 of minced Chinese sausage (reserve other 1/2 for garnish), & bread crumbs to bowl and fold in until well incorporated, season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Raise BGE temp to 425 indirect heat.
- Place about 2 tablespoons of crab stuffing inside each oyster.
- Place oysters in BGE and grill about 8 to 12 mins until, crab meat stuffing is golden brown, and the oysters are sizzling.
- Remove oysters from BGE, and serve hot immediately, garnished with gochujang hollandaise, Chopped Chinese sausage, and chopped Italian parsley.
- Bring a small sauce pot, with water 2” high to a simmer
- In a medium stainless steel bowl add egg yolks, gochujang, rice wine vinegar, and juice of 1/2 sour orange; whisk vigorously until doubled in volume.
- Place bowl over sauce pot, careful not to have bottom of bowl touch simmering water.
- Continuously whisk while slowly adding melted butter to yolk mixture. (whisking prevents eggs from scrambling)
- Continuously whisk until doubled in volume again, and sauce like consistency, remove from heat and add a pinch of salt, pinch of black pepper, and pinch of cayenne pepper, season to taste.
Yield: 12 servings
About Chef David Rose
David Rose was a competitor on Food Network Star and went out in a blaze of glory in a head-to-head battle against Bobby Flay. Since then he’s appeared all over television, including the Steve Harvey Show, the Today show on NBC, Fox News, CNN, Hallmark Channel, and much more.
Chef David Rose also partners with companies and big brands such as Big Green Egg, Nissan USA, and Davidoff/Camacho Cigars. He also travels the country to teach others how to cook — just like he did at #BetonBBQ 2019.
Bet on BBQ 2019 was his first year cooking live at the Turf and Surf BBQ Championship. You can bet it won’t be his last.
Visit www.chefdavidrose.com for recipes and more.
Watch or Listen to Chef David Rose on the Digital Hospitality podcast online now. Subscribe for new episodes weekly featuring businesses and personalities who’ve evolved to a digital world. Becoming a Celebrity Chef featuring Chef David Rose (DH 002)
Have you subscribed to Digital Hospitality? That’s CaliBBQ.Media’s podcast that helps business owners develop a mobile-first internet strategy by telling the stories of innovative brands and personalities who are outranking the competition in search results. If you’re interested in business and marketing, we invite you to learn more with us and have a watch or listen.
If you enjoyed this video please subscribe and let us know what you’d like to see next in the comments! Email firstname.lastname@example.org to get in touch.