Behind The Smoke Podcast Episode:
#013 – San Diego Sports and the New Era of Digital Marketing for Scott Kaplan – The Mighty 1090
Recorded on site at the Mighty 1090 Studios on the Main Sales Floor
Guest: Scott Kaplan
Scott Kaplan was the Host and Executive Producer of the longest running sports radio show in Southern California, The Scott & BR Show, on the Mighty 1090 in San Diego and Los Angeles. In addition to being an on-air personality, Scott is a media entrepreneur, working as an executive producer, content provider, fundraiser, and marketing director for various media companies. Scott is also a commentator for Westwood One radio.
Prior to beginning his career as a broadcaster, Scott was a placekicker at the University of Pittsburgh. While at Pitt from 1988 to 1992, Scott was the team’s leading scorer for three seasons. Scott is still an avid athlete and competitor. For many years, Scott participated in the Million Dollar Challenge, cycling over 600 miles from San Francisco to San Diego, and helping raise over 5 million dollars for Challenged Athletes Foundation. In 2010, Scott completed the ‘toughest endurance race in the world,’ the Ironman World Championship in Kona, Hawaii. In 2016, Scott was part of a 12 man cycling team that competed in The Race Across America, an ultra-marathon cycling race, from Oceanside, CA to Annapolis, Maryland. The team completed this grueling, cross-country, around the clock race in 6 days.
Scott is involved with various San Diego area charities, including Computers to San Diego Kids (C2SDK) and Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.
On the weekends you can find Scott on one of the various youth sports fields throughout San Diego cheering on his 4 children in their various sporting endeavors.
Scott kicks off summer at Del Mar: http://www.mighty1090.com/2017/07/20/daily-links-chargers-wr-mike-williams-might-need-season-ending-back-surgery/
Scott Ten Questions Article: http://www.delmartimes.net/sddmt-10-questions-for-scott-kaplan-radio-host-2008sep25-story.html
– Scott Kaplan, American Sports Radio personality and current co-host for “The Scott and BR Show” CEO of Scott Kaplan Media, San Diego
– San Diego love letter challenge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArEf46GBrdA
– What will happen to Chargers fans now that they have relocated to Costa Mesa?
– Chargers Day at Del Mar: http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/columnists/kevin-acee/sd-sp-acee-del-mar-chargers-0723-story.html
– The 2017 Mighty 1090 Golf Open: https://www.instagram.com/p/BV-0RIRFKpq/
– “The guy who has the money gets his way”
– Scott talks with Shawn and Derek about the San Diego city government
– Scott doesn’t think the Chargers wanted to leave San Diego
– Los Angeles Chargers players like Philip Rivers are driving from SD to LA for practice and games
– Valley Farm Market and Cali Comfort BBQ are both located in Spring Valley “the diamond in the rough”
– Scott talks about Digital Marketing “There are so many ways to make money, especially on YouTube”
– Making money on YouTube: https://creatoracademy.youtube.com/page/lesson/revenue-basics
– Scott is looking to build his brand further on YouTube
– Scott and Craig Dado got really into horse racing and started the reality TV show ‘Stable Wars’
Listen to Craig Dado’s Stable Wars Story:
– Visit scottkaplanmedia.com for the latest & greatest from Scott Kaplan